Well, it’s cold outside, or at least COOL in Florida. Now what do we do on the beach? The answer is LOTS! If you live near Fort Walton Beach, Florida or plan to visit during the winter months, don’t despair. Fort Walton Beach has your wintertime fun ticket! Here are just some of the entertaining and worthwhile things to do when it’s not summertime in Florida:
- Eat out! Fort Walton Beach, or FWB, has plenty of great restaurants, from small mom & pop eateries to major franchises to fine dining to off-the-beat flavors. Whether you want fish and seafood (upscale or downscale) or all-American burgers and fries or pizza with all the toppings or Chinese and Mexican food–FWB has it all! Don’t stay inside when it’s cool, go outside and eat more to stay warm.
- Explore antique shops! Fort Walton Beach lies in an area with lots of history. And that means that lots of old “stuff” that some people don’t think is valuable is left around. Stuff for you to buy and discover the value of. Don’t let those interesting trinkets and old world items like glass and clothes and jewelry and farm equipment and decorative pieces just sit there. Discover all the interesting antique stores in FWB and give a lonely little antique a new home.
- Go to a museum! Culture is for everyone, and learning about art and history and science is important for kids as well as adults. Fort Walton has museums devoted to military and Florida history. Don’t say inside and veg out. Go out in the cool, beautiful Florida weather and learn something new.
- Go shopping! Everyone has an inner shopper. You know, the person who wants to find a good deal or discover that special item for that special someone. Fort Walton Beach has tons of stores devoted to items upscale and downscale, from hunting equipment to jewelry, from used trucks to high fashion, from beach memorabilia to home decor. Why stay inside and wish for stuff when you can get out and shop for it? So go shopping!
- Go to a local exhibit! Fort Walton always has some sort of local history or cultural or fun-time tourist event going on. Check the local papers or just ask a local. There is always something for families or singles to do. Be a little nosey and get the info on FWB.
- Dance your buns off! If you are young and beautiful or just want to the be with the young and beautiful party crowd, get dressed and head out into the night for some sexy fun and wild dancing. Fort Walton Beach has party spots for a lifetime experience that you can always remember. Let your flag fly!
- Go fishing! Just because it’s not hot doesn’t mean that the Florida fishing stops! There is some type of fishing going on for the whole family. And tournaments: don’t forget the tournaments. Make it a competition when you fish. Put some extra fun in that hook. Try your skill and luck at catching redfish and cobia, tuna or amberjack. They are waiting in the blue Gulf waters for you right now. So get out that door and fish!
- Take a boat tour! Florida offers all sorts of boat tours, and Fort Walton Beach has a sample of them all. From private romantic tours to family event tours, from fishing competition tours to musical and dining tours: it’s yours to choose from. What about a glass-bottom boat tour? Watch the wonders of sea life up close and natural the way sea creatures were meant to be watched. Or sit on the waters and watch the sun set. Any way you do it, a boat tour is a winning idea.
- Take it easy…. Of just sit on the beach and veg. Read a book. Have a beer or glass of wine and think about the meaning of life while you stare at the blue waters and white sand. Remember the past and take in the lovely winter beach atmosphere. There is no reason to GO all the time. Sometimes you just need to do nothing.
- Take it easy in a spa…. And then there is the pampering. Fort Walton Beach has lots of lovely spas with inviting people and beauty workers to make sure you look your best and feel your best. What about a massage and a facial? Steam rooms and light workouts? Do yourself a favor. Make it a Spa Day!
- Discover culture. Go to some local galleries or cultural events on one of the nearby college campuses. Listen to some experts speak on a subject such as military history. There is always something to learn in Fort Walton. Fort Walton Beach is a place for both the mind and the body.
Remember that it’s always beautiful in Florida, no matter what time of year. Come on down to the beach in winter.