Destin is a rather small coastal city on the Gulf Coast located in the Panhandle of Florida, touching on Alabama. The Destin area includes more than Destin, however, since the coastal lifestyle communities range from Fort Walton to Panama City. The population of Destin proper is over 13,000 persons — but much larger during tourist season. Destin’s population is significantly lower after tourist season, a much quieter place to live.
It’s no secret that the Emerald Coast is a “hot” place to live — full time or part time or party time! Some neighborhoods are hotter than hot, however. Here’s the run-down on some luxury “hoods” that will make your eyes big and your pocketbook skinny. If they sound good, then call your trusty real estate agent to get more details. And good luck!
What does one look for in a neighborhood? When buying a homes, there are certain lifestyle considerations to take into account. When buy a upscale home or estate, the questions take on a different nature:
- What sort of investment are you looking for? A place to live with modest rises in real estate or a place to own for bigger investment returns?
- How concerned are you with permanence? Will this be a primary or secondary (or tertiary) home? How sure are you that want to remain in that neighborhood or area?
- What about unknowable future income situations? If the stock market weakens can you afford the sort of luxury lifestyle that the area demands?
- Have you asked about upkeep cost and the state of utilities and construction? What looks great on the surface is not always so solid underneath?
- Do you want to spend time on the beach? Shop and dine out? What about local airports or private airports? What about security?
Destiny — Destiny West & Destiny East, on the private lake or on the beach, every home is a winner in Destiny. A gated community of exclusive homes and estates tucked off the scenic “old 98” AKA Scenic Gulf Drive on the private Four Prong lake, while Destiny West is located on the most desirable spot of Scenic Gulf Drive near the boardwalk of James Lee Park. Homes are generally between $1 million and $5 million dollars.
Kelly Plantation — An exclusive gated community in the city limits of Destin, Kelly Plantation is on the shores of Choctawhatchee Bay, was once part of the property of one of Destin’s first families. The 900 acres are full of wetlands, marshes, and distinctively Emerald Coast landscapes. Prices generally range from $750,000 for condos to $4 million for estate homes.
Indian Bayou — Built around Indian Bayou Golf Course, these lovely and distinctive homes appeal to a crowd who wants relaxation in a second home or the stimulation of a golf lifestyle after retirement. Prices generally range from $500,000 for condos to $2 million for estate homes.
Regatta Bay — The golfing residences and lifestyle of Regatta Bay cater to those who want both relaxation and stimulation. Prices generally range from $500,000 to $2 million for homes. It’s conveniently located in the “heart” of Miramar Beach.
Sandestin Beach and Golf Resort — Sandestin is a large, well-known, expansive resort with a wide range of residences: hotels, apartments, condos, townhouses, homes, estates. Prices range from $500,000 for apartments and small condos to $10 million for Gulf View condos or major estate homes.