Pensacola is a lovely place to call home. and when you and your family want to celebrate a holiday, there is never a shortage of things to do. Labor Day 2016 is coming up Sept. 5, so we’re rounding up some weekend activities to help get you out in the community, socializing with your neighbors. So if you are a Pensacola real estate owner or you are just vacationing, here are some great events to enjoy:
- Not Quite Fab Concert: If you want to take a blanket and cooler outdoors for some live music, go enjoy Blues Angel Music’s Blues on the Bay Summer Concert Series. Not Quite Fab, Northwest Florida’s only Beatles tribute band, will be playing a show at the Community Maritime Park Hunter Amphitheater on Sept. 4.
- The Life and Art of Mary Petty: For something low key, you could take your family to the Pensacola Museum of Art, where The Life and Art of Mary Petty is on exhibit. Petty created the Peabody family that was on more than 40 covers for The New Yorker Magazine. Her books and magazines illustrations are well known, and her satire of New York City’s Victorian era society drew praise as well. Her style featured detailed watercolors.
- Historic Downtown Pensacola: And don’t forget you can never go wrong hanging out around Palafox Street or the Seville District in historic Pensacola, especially if you’re a foodie. You’ll find white tablecloth dining, cozy cafes, pubs, and food trucks, with virtually anything to please your palate.
- Sand Dollar Saturday: If you’re in the mood for some outdoor shopping and don’t mind the short drive over to Navarre, check out Sand Dollar Saturday at 1900 Highway 87. There will be food, vendors, and a drawing for a door prize. You’ll find among the treasures such items as intricately painted stones, canvas paintings, homemade seashell soaps, jewelry, and gourmet dog treats.
- Bloody Mary 5K Run/Walk: If you want to be active, take part in the 3rd Annual Bloody Mary 5K Run/Walk. The race starts at 7:30 a.m. Sept. 5, which starts at Tacky Jacks in over in Gulf Shores. Runners and walkers will be treated to free beer, food, and Bloody Marys. There will be music and commemorative T-shirts. A great way to mark the Labor Day weekend.
Camping at Fort Pickens: Another great way to mark the Labor Day holiday is to spend a night or even the whole weekend at Fort Pickens Campground. Located on Santa Rosa Island south of Gulf Breeze and Pensacola, it’s accessible to people in the Pensacola metro area. The Gulf Islands National Seashore features Gulf Coast waters, pristine white beaches, and marshes, with plenty of shade trees.